We all woke up this morning absolutely FREAKING out about meeting our host families! Caroline was first to go at 10 am. Lauren and I grabbed breakfast and packed up our rooms… we were leaving around 12. We brought all our luggage downstairs through the horrible elevator (that literally took 15 minutes to come) and waited in the lobby. Miguel Angel introduced us one by one to our host families. My “senora” (that’s what you call a single lady here) is probably the cutest little old lady I’ve ever seen… she reminds me a lot of Nonny actually which will be really comforting. Although she is older, she is very active still and says she doesn’t own a car, but walks everywhere since it is so close. We got back to her place by taxi which was a quick drive and even a quicker walk (there’s a lot of one-ways and small streets here that cars can’t get down but you can walk down). Her apartment is literally in the heart of the city right by where we’ve been staying these past few nights… I got SO lucky. Only a 5 minute walk to school, the bars at night, and the awesome shopping center.
Her apartment is much bigger than I had imagined. Her nephew (who I have no idea how to pronounce his name) stays with us sometimes as well. He was here when I arrived, but walking out the door so I haven’t had the chance to meet him yet. Senora says he is very independent and keeps to himself a lot.. she said don’t be surprised if he only says two words to you haha She also has a cat named Romario (after a famous soccer player) that I’ll have to get used to. He’s really hairy and she says he tends to shed a lot so she’s always straightening up the house. For some reason he loves to be in my room… uh oh.
My room is a good size. I have a huge chest to put all my clothes, a desk, a nightstand and she even gave me a bulletin board to hang up notes and pictures (how cute right?) I also have my own bathroom which is down the hall, once again I got very lucky! I may even have internet; she has to call the tech guy to see if he can get it working again (I hope I understood that right!)
Senora let me unpack my things and get settled while she prepared lunch. It was nice to finally get my stuff organized and not live out of a suitcase! For lunch we had bread (pan), salad (ensalada), meat (carne, kinda like steak), and potatas pobres (basically sliced potatoes cooked in oil). It was delicious. She said that’s a typical lunch meal in Spain which I could definitely get used to. During lunch we sat in the family room on the couches and watched the news (which comes on during siesta, or 2:30 this time). We sit with a heater under the table and blankets on our laps because most apartments here don’t have central heating. Looks like I’ll have to invest in a blanket! After lunch she took me to the 9th floor, called the terraza or terrace. The view is absolutely insane… I have the mountains to my right and the city surrounding her building. Senora says she goes up there to relax, read, or “tomar el sol” (to soak up the sun). I told her I’d probably be spending a lot of time there! Haha
Overall I’m really happy with my living situation. Senora seems awesome, I’m so close to the heart of the city and she has already made me feel very comfortable. She said “mi casa ahora es tu casa” or my house is now your house. She also told me that Miguel Angel (the resident director) knows her really well and she has been in the program for quite some time. Typically when people are having problems with their host families they move in with us because she has the space and is willing to lend a hand. Looks like I might have a roommate but it’s only the first day! Pictures to come once again, just have to get this internet figured out!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave me a comment!