Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Swedish Girls Arrive! Ahh

My senora decided to host 2 other exchange students from Sweden.. she wasn't going to at first, but the other school practically begged her so she accepted.  The girls, Amanda and Lena, arrived VERY late on Monday night / Tuesday morning - not until 4 am!  I was asleep by then but finally met them on Tuesday morning during lunch.  They're 18 and 19 and JUST how you would picture them - long bleach blonde hair and blue eyes.  Lunch was a little complicated since..

1. My senora speaks Spanish and French
2. I speak Spanish and English but unfortunately no Swedish
3. The girls spoke Swedish, English and VERY little Spanish

aka I was Miss Translator once again.  I tried to speak to them in Spanish so they would actually learn (why else would they come to Spain) but they literally had NO clue what my senora and I were saying so I translated between English and Spanish as best as I could.   They had to meet up with their group again after lunch all the way across the city and looked like they were about to have a panic attack when they whipped out their map and saw how far it was, so I decided to walk them.  On the way we spoke English so I learned a lot more about them.  They're in their last year of our equivalent to high school it sounds like and plan on taking a year off to travel the world once they graduate in June - how sweet right?  They think Americans are crazy for going to college right after high school.  The girls even asked me "aren't you sick of school?" and my response was pretty much "why do you think I'm here?" haha.

My only other encounter with them was this morning getting ready for school.  I explained to them IN ENGLISH that the 3 of us SHARE a bathroom which means we ALL have to get ready in the morning.  What does one of them do?  Gets in the shower at 7:40 when breakfast is ready at 8 and we all needed to be out the door by 8:30.  Believe me I don't mind sharing a bathroom but clearly they have some issues.. looks like I'm setting my alarm a little earlier tomorrow. haha

Last funny tidbit.. one of them claims to be allergic to gluten.  When my senora found this out she pretty much freaked out since we a) live on bread products and b) gluten-free products are very expensive here.  She was nice enough to go buy the girl gluten-free juice and bread so she at least had something to eat for breakfast.  Today my senora tells me, she vents to me all the time, that the girl ate chocolate (with gluten) and drank the normal juice (with gluten).  In Spanish she goes "I don't get it.. I think she's lying".  Not sure if someone would lie about a gluten allergy but I'm just glad I'm on my senora's good side.

1 comment:

  1. So where are the pictures of these new blond exchange students????

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment!